Why did Remington’s vehicle enterprise fall short? A seem back again at Mohawk Valley record

1903, 120 decades ago 

Car or truck makers 

The Remington Auto and Motor Firm starts to make tonneau carriages in East Utica on a block bordered by Wide, Niagara and Ontario streets.  

They are autos that seat five, have 10-horsepower, two-cylinder engines, and can arrive at speeds up to 35 mph. Each auto expenses about $1,700 and the inside is of the newest French structure with seats upholstered in darkish eco-friendly leather-based. 

The 14-story skyscraper on the northeast corner of Genesee and Elizabeth streets in downtown Utica has been around for 97 years. It was built by the First National Bank & Trust Company and opened on Dec. 3, 1926. Its first depositors were Arthur F. Kielbach, assistant treasurer of the Utica Observer-Dispatch and Harry Benner, the newspaper’s advertising manager. (We could not find out how much they deposited.) This photo was taken in July 1967 when the building’s ground floor was home to Brooks Fashion Store, Fanny Farmer Candy, Daniels Jewelers and the Berkowitz Cigar Store. At the time, it was the tallest building in Utica, only a few feet taller than the Hotel Utica. Today the 16-story State Office Building is the tallest. And also today, the subject of this caption is known as the Adirondack Bank Building.

The enterprise was started by Philo Remington of Ilion, grandson of Eliphalet Remington, founder of the gun producing company in Ilion. 

Alas, the Remington automobile organization went out of organization in 1904. Utica was quickly starting to be a production center for the new car sector but bought very little encouragement and no help from the city’s civic leaders. Numerous of them experienced ties to Utica’s several knitting mills.